If you decide to take your pet with you when you travel, it’s important to choose a bed and breakfast that is Pet Friendly. Countless inns on BnBFinder.com are happy to welcome you and your pet. Follow these helpful tips and tricks for a tail-waggin good time.
• When booking, tell the innkeeper that you want to bring your pet. Some inns have policies regarding the size, weight, and type of pet that they can accommodate.
• Make sure you find out if the innkeeper requires any special deposits or extra fees to cover your pet’s stay.
• Find out if there are animals living at the inn to avoid any potential problems for your pet.
• Ask about designated rooms for people staying with their furry friends. These rooms are often located on the ground floor for easier access.
• Ask if there are any restricted and/or designated places for pets both indoors and outdoors. Check with the innkeeper about walking your pet through the gardens, along the shore, or on trails. This way, you and your furry friend can take in the lovely atmospheres that help make bed and breakfasts so special.
• Upon arrival remind the innkeeper that you are traveling with a special guest. Some inns provide a goody bag for pets that include treats, pick up bags, and information on local veterinarians and pet friendly establishments.
As you will see when you get to your room, innkeepers put a great deal of effort in maintaining a beautiful, immaculate house, and it is your responsibility to keep it that way.
• Wipe your pet’s paws every time he comes in from outside.
• Discourage him from sleeping on the furniture and cover all furniture and the beds he might go on. Many inns provide special sheets, towels, and beds for your pet so that he too can relax in comfort.
• Put fresh water and food on a mat if you are feeding in the room and try to keep your pet on the same feeding schedule you would at home. Some inns will even provide him with fancy crystal dishes and homemade food or treats.
• When you leave your room, refrain from leaving your pet behind. Most bed and breakfasts have policies against leaving your pet unattended. Crate your pet to avoid any unwanted situations if you are permitted to leave him in the room, and be sure that all employees of the inn know that your pet will be in there. Some inns offer in-room pet sitting services, as well as doggie daycare areas that allow your pet to socialize and play while you are off premises.
• When outdoors, keep your pet on a leash and always clean up after him. Respect all the guests at the inn and their feelings about animals.
• At the end of your stay, inspect your room for any damage your pet may have caused. Notify the innkeeper and volunteer to pay for any repairs. Pet friendly inns know that sometimes an accident may happen and would prefer you to let them know right after it happens so they may deal with it accordingly.
Doesn’t it sound nice to be able to go on a relaxing, intimate vacation and be able to bring your pet along? Many bed and breakfast innkeepers have said that some of their most memorable guests are pets and their owners. Hopefully your B&B visit will be just as memorable!