While many of us have been life-long devotees of chocolate, how many knew that this week is National Chocolate Week? That’s right, according to the National Confectioners Association, the third week of March is set aside each year as a week to celebrate all things chocolate. I believe this means that it’s still fine to celebrate chocolate the other 51 weeks, it’s just not official.
To begin this very special week off right, this delightful Chocolate Raspberry Mousse was sent to us by The Artist’s Inn & Gallery in beautiful Lancaster County, PA – home of the Pennsylvania Dutch.
- 4 oz. Chocolate Raspberry bits
- 1/4 lb. sweet butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- In a large saucepan, bring about 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Place chocolate in a stainless steel bowl and sit the bowl on top of the saucepan. Lower the water to a simmer. Stir the chocolate as it melts and add the butter. Continue to stir until blended and remove from heat.
- Add a small amount of chocolate mixture to beaten egg yolks, stirring rapidly to temper the yolks.
- Add yolks to the rest of the chocolate mixture and whisk thoroughly. Place the bowl in the refrigerator to cool slightly – just until room temperature (about 5 minutes).
- Beat egg whites until they stand in soft peaks. Add the sugar gradually and continue to beat until combined and egg whites are stiff.
- Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until completely combined.
- Spoon into 6 martini or wine glasses.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, top with fresh whipped cream and garnish with chocolate designs.
Try to savor each bite and not wolf down the entire cup like a depraved chocoholic, but however you eat it, enjoy!
For more rich, chocolate recipes to celebrate this important holiday with, visit the BnBFinder recipes page.