Welcome to the BnBFinder Bed & Breakfast Blog
Bed & Breakfast news for Innkeepers and B&B travelers
Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Thick Chocolate Chip CookiesFrom time to time here at BnBFinder, innkeepers will get in touch with us because they have a question about some aspect of the inn business. We’re accustomed to handling inquiries about marketing your B&B, how search engines really work,what a Babymoon is and what the weather is like in NYC. Yesterday an innkeeper got in touch with a query that has us stumped, so we’re looking for your assistance to find an answer.

“How do you make thick cookies? How do other innkeepers keep them from spreading out in the pan?”

Considering the recipes and photos we see daily from all of you innkeepers out there, we’re absolutely confident that someone out there has the answers. Please take a second and leave a comment if you have some advice to share. Thanks!

Post to Twitter Tweet this

18 Comments »

1. I read somewhere that you should always use a cool cookie sheet, never one that just came out of the oven. Also, I think some recipes are just supposed to produce a thin cookie. Hope this helps!

Comment by Nan Ryburn — June 11, 2008 @ 1:15 pm

2. Nan, thanks so much. That’s great advice!

Comment by admin — June 11, 2008 @ 1:30 pm

3. I’ve read that cookies that spread have too much butter in the batter. I also agree that some recipes require the use of cool cookie sheets.
    Hope this helps

Comment by Deborah Stroup — June 12, 2008 @ 9:15 pm

4. Sorry, but I have to disagree. My cookies always come out flat. My friends and my sister use the same recipe and theirs are thick! I get very frustrated. We all talked about this and no one knows the answer. Maybe I’m just a flat cookie person! If anyone has the secret – please share.

Comment by Elaine Klevens — June 13, 2008 @ 9:45 am

5. Here are a couple of suggestions. If you are making pretty much any cookie except for a shortbread or cutout sugar cookies, I use criso instead of butter. Butter has a tendency to spread the cookies and also brown or burn them. I also use only air insulated cookie sheets and when you take the cookies out of the oven, let them finish cooking on the cookie sheet for about 10 minutes before removing them. Also, I underbake all my cookies by about 1 minute. Hope that helps.

Comment by Diane Sokolowski — June 13, 2008 @ 9:47 am

6. You should always make sure the pan is cool. I alternate pans to allow cooling time. With chocolate chip cookies, I came across a recipe that suggests you roll the cookies into a one inch ball. This really works.

Comment by Regina McCarren — June 13, 2008 @ 9:50 am

7. Try adding one or two tablespoons of flour to your dough before dropping and see if that helps.

Also, in order to have fresh cookies every night for guests, even if there are just 2 or 3, I freeze my dough. Make the dough like normal, then using a cookie scoop drop them very close together on a cookie sheet and freeze. When frozen put into a storage bag (be sure to mark-they all look alike when frozen!). When you need cookies, just put the number you need on a cold cookie sheet and let defrost while the oven preheats. They will stay thicker.

Comment by Lucy Kesler — June 13, 2008 @ 9:53 am

8. I agree that if you put too much butter the cookies will turn flat, what I do is add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of all purpose flour to the batter and also I rolled the batter into small balls and then placed them about 1 to 2 inches apart in the cooking sheet. Hope this help.

Comment by Edgar Nieves — June 13, 2008 @ 9:54 am

9. This is the easiest and fastest cookie recipe for B&Bs. It is a secret recipe and I will share it with you! Take a box of cake mix (any kind/any brand). Take the mix out of the box and throw the box away. Put the mix, 2 eggs and a 1/2 cup of vegetable oil (I use Canola) into a bowl and mix. That is your cookie dough! Bake at 350 for 12 to 13 minutes. Don’t over cook. For chocolate chocolate chip cookies use devils food cake mix (don’t use mixes with butter in them) and add 1/2 cup white and/or dark chips. I use spice or pecan mix and add pecans and/or white chips. Use your imagination. I scoop with a tiny “ice cream” scoop. Place about 2 inches apart and bake. I do use the insulated cookie sheets with parchment paper. Enjoy!

Comment by Margi — June 13, 2008 @ 10:46 am

10. Use shortening or butter, never margarine. Shortening (Crisco only in my book) makes the best cookies. I used to have that problem when I used margarine. A friend made nice plump ones and I asked her what she did and she told me she used Crisco instead of margarine.

Comment by Sharon Hansen — June 13, 2008 @ 1:18 pm

11. whatever you do don’t use a non stick spray or grease the pan. I used to do this and ended up with flat shapeless cookies. I use a heavy non stick cookie sheet which seems to stop them spreading,and now my cookes are perfect ‘store bought” shape but with that wonderful home baked taste (and smell!)

Comment by Julie — June 13, 2008 @ 2:13 pm

12. I don’t have much cookie experience but I have found that using my convection oven and parchment paper makes the best cookies.

Comment by Kristi — June 14, 2008 @ 7:30 am

13. Cookie dough needs a proper flour/shortening recipe to produce the desired result. Also, cookies tend to spread on warm humid days because flour tends to absorb moisture. Be sure your oven is preheated to the proper temperature. Always start with a cold cookie sheet. Chill the dough or formed cookies before baking, especially during the summer months. Bake a few cookies first and check for spreading. If they spread too much, add a couple of tablespoons of flour at a time and test again. Keep doing this until you acheive the desired result. Other suggestions is check your flour. I use a good pastry flour to make cookies and muffins. Cold butter added to a recipe will make a firmer cookie than melted butter or room temperature butter. Addition of ground nuts also tends to tighten up the batter.

Comment by Eileen Collins — June 15, 2008 @ 12:47 pm

14. Kristi, I asked a friend of mine who’s a pastry chef about perfect cookies this weekend, and she also said that a convection oven is what makes cookies jump from being ‘great’ to ‘bakery perfect’.

Comment by admin — June 16, 2008 @ 9:05 am

15. Our “house cookie” is never flat. I have read the previous 14 comments and none apply to the recipe we use. I have to think it is the combination and quantity of ingredients that mnke it a “perfect” cookie and we have stayed with only this same recipe for several years.

Comment by Georgeanne Nichols — July 1, 2008 @ 11:33 pm

16. The dough spreads during heating, so pre-measure and freeze the dough first.
    When in the oven the center stays stiff and tall longer while the outside cooks and locks into position before the center relaxes all the way. Shortning is best

Comment by Jed Coryell — February 12, 2009 @ 6:17 pm

17. oatmeal choc. chip cookies came out to salty and flat , we did use margarine. we added more flour and my friend said to use some milk will milk and more flour sound right, why milk I ask.

Comment by cindy maez — March 21, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

18. I know no one’s been here in well over a year, BUT I tried some of these tips and here it is… I have a small bakery business and my ‘specialty’ cookie, a Monster Cookie, always flattens, no matter what I did UNTIL last night! I added a little extra flour, used shortening instead of butter and I refrigerated for 4 hours before using. Oh and I cooked on parchment instead of straight pan. I don’t know which was the ‘magic’ trick, but they were thick, chewy and yum! I accidentally overcooked one batch and they were crisp outside, and moist inside (cake like) So I hope it helps, happy baking!

Comment by Sharon — December 7, 2012 @ 8:29 pm